Search This Blog

Friday, 12 October 2012

A Rather Late September Round Up!

I really am rubbish at remembering to update this!! I blame this on working loads and doing crazy amounts of sewing!!

September was a pretty hectic month to be honest with lots of sewing being done!! I also finally gave in and went to the Doctor's to find out what was wrong with my hand. Turns out I had Tendonitis again, so that put a stopper on the sewing on for a while, and pretty much doing anything at all with my hand! Thankfully it does now seem to be on the mend, and normality has resumed, so to speak!

The main work in progress in September was the Blackwork cuff commission I mentioned in my previous blog update! 60 hours, 1 spool of silk thread, and 28 inches of linen later the first cuff is complete :)

The pattern is a simplified version of Jane Seymour's cuffs in the Holbein painting.

This complete pattern on the cuffs was the first piece of blackwork I ever worked, and it has been nice to re-visit the pattern.

Here's a close up of the stitching -

Now too start work on the second cuff :)

I also made a couple of birthday cards in September. Can't post all of them yet, but I made this one for my Aunt's 60th birthday.

It's a Joan Elliott pattern from her Oriental collection booklet.

I've also been on a phone case making mission recently! My cousin commissioned me to make a Twilight themed one for her Galaxy Note! This was so much fun to make!!! I found some amazing sparkly glitter felt in my local craft shop, and got very over excited about it!!

^^ Is the front of the case! The design is based on the front cover of the first Twilight book. Pretty much all made from the sparkly felt I found. Stitching the hands was an almost nightmare. Was unpicked and re-stitched many times before I was finally happy with how it looked.

I free hand embroidered the 'Twilight' logo onto the closing flap. The case closes with two press studs.

For the back of the case I combined the book covers from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. The chess pieces are made from the sparkly felt and free hand embroidered, and I then appliqued some red ribbon around them.

The inside of the case is lined with red felt, to make the case nice and safe for your phone!!

Not much more been crossed off my actual 50 Projects list but lots of sewing has been whilst my hand has been co-=operating!

Vicki x

1 comment:

  1. I really love the blackwork. That's something I've been wanting to try forever. Great stuff!